Masterclass with Lucio GODOY
Organized by the Independent Days in cooperation with Music Academy International www.maifrance.com
PIECES OF MY MUSICAL PUZZLE
Extracts of my works projected on the movie screen: with/without music and rejected cues
Training, first jobs, cooperation experiences with filmmakers
My way to score films
Direct answers to various questions about film music:
- How to enter the profession?
- How to choose the music of certain scenes?
- Sudden inspiration ≠ desperate searching…
My advice to young filmmakers and to young film music composers
And Everything You Always Wanted to Know About music and image alchemy!
Date: April, 6th 2019
Time: 11:30 am
Berklee College of Music in Spain
Lucio Godoy is a Spanish-Argentinian film composer & music producer.
His music studies have led him from Argentina to France on to the United States:
- Conservatorio Manuel de Falla, Buenos Aires
- École Normale de Musique de Paris
- Berklee College of Music, Boston
Based in Spain since 1992, works as an active film & TV composer and soundtrack producer.
Since 2013, he is the director of the Scoring for Film, Television, and Video Games master's degree program at Berklee's campus in Valencia, Spain.
In his own words:
"Every time I start a project, I have the same feeling: here is a new puzzle to assemble. I’ve been given a box with all the pieces and a general framework, although there is no complete image of the final picture. All I have to do is figure out how to put it all together.
Instead of working on it leisurely over summer, I have a deadline and a limited amount of time. This adds a mixture of euphoria and pressure, generating unexpected results – for better and/or worse.
There is something magical about this process that has always fascinated me. Sometimes I’ll spend one, two, or three days mulling over a cue, only to 'find' the perfect piece in the blink of an eye.
The more puzzles I accumulate over time, the more I realize there is no secret formula. This is one of the best things I like about my job. Each movie has its music and all music has its time. For me, it’s all about piecing the two together and enjoying the process while you’re at it."
Has written and produced music for more than 60 feature films, including:
- Everybody Has a Plan (featuring Viggo Mortensen)
- Blackthorn (featuring Sam Shepard),
- Don’t move (featuring Penelope Cruz)
- Shell Shock (featuring Colin Farrell and Christopher Lee)
Has produced for other composers' feature films, including:
- Alejandro Amenábar's scores for The Others (Nicole Kidman) and The Sea Inside (Javier Bardem)
- Alberto Iglesias's scores for Pedro Almodovar’s movies: All About My Mother, Live Flesh, and The Flower of My Secret
- Alfonso Vilallonga's scores for A los Que Aman, (Monica Bellucci) and My Life Without Me (Sarah Polley and Mark Ruffalo)
- 2002 Toulouse Cinespaña for Best Film Score for Intacto
- 2003 Spanish Music Award-winner for Best Score for Mondays in the Sun
- 2007 Goya Award-winner for Best Original Song for La Educación de las Hadas
- 2009 Goya Award-nominee for Best Original Score for Los Girasoles Ciegos
- 2012 Goya Award-nominee for Best Original Score for Blackthorn